Thursday, July 12, 2012

Personal space

Girlfriend (GF) : जान, you know what I'm thinking...... हमें कुछ टाइम के लिए अलग हो जाना चाहिए 
Boyfriend (BF) (surprised) : मतलब... क्यूँ?
GF : I don’t know. I feel that I have become too dependent on you, you know. I just...I just want to feel free. I think that We are taking too much of each other’s personal space, you know?
BF (confounded) : No, I don't know. ये...क्या बकचोदी है 

GF (disgusted) : Oh this language! I am fucking sick of it.
BF : क्या sick? तुम 15 बार fuck fuck बोलो, वो कुछ नहीं. मैंने बकचोदी बोल दिया तो sick. 
GF – oh stop it. (shouting) Pleeeeeeease. You are impossible....... Well anyways, let’s not divert from what we were talking about. I think that we should separate for a year. No meeting, no phone calls, nothing.  
BF (matter-of-factly) :  क्या बात कर रही हो यार  ये!   अब तो  पूरे 1 हफ्ते से कितने अच्छा चल रहा है सब,  कोई लड़ाई नहीं, कुछ नहीं. और तुम suddenly - Become dependent, personal space? 't makes no sense to me. (pause) (his facial expression changes from tension to mischief) Oh! i get it,  तुम मजाक कर रही हो ना?..silly me!   
GF – नहीं, मजाक नहीं है. I am serious. Try to understand. This is for both of us.  
BF : ऐसे कैसे both of us, जबरदस्ती? I don't want it. I want to be with you. 
GF -  Don’t make it so hard for me. Trust me, we need this break. To..you know...live our lives, to reinforce our individuality. And when we’ll be back together, तुम देखना - we’ll love each other so much more. 
BF – Back together? अब...ये क्या है. इस एक साल में कोई और पसंद आ गया तो?
GF - मुझे तो नहीं आएगा, but तुम्हारा...मैं नहीं कह सकती.
BF - How can you be so sure? फिर क्यूँ चाहिए ब्रेक. इसीलिए ना कि इन कुछ दिनों में things not going that good between us, and I guess now you are not so sure if you want to....
GF - Wait. I am not sure? (flabbergasted with animated expression) Yea... See. I knew. I knew कि तुम कुछ ऐसा ही सोचोगे. क्यूँ, तुम्हें तो बस मौका चाहिए ना....for checking out other girls. 
BF : क्या बोल रही हो यार तुम? दिमाग तो ठीक है तुम्हारा? 
GF : हाँ, मेरा दिमाग बिलकुल ठीक है, लेकिन तुम्हारे दिल में जरुर कुछ गड़बड़ है. 
BF (mad with frustration) : मेरे दिल में गड़बड़ है? मुझे मौका चाहिए? It's you who wants us to separate for a year, और कह रही हो कि मुझे मौका चाहिए, I want to check out girls. और मौका क्या, जाना होगा तो मैं खुद से नहीं चला जाऊंगा? क्या बकवास है ये! 
(silence, tries to calm himself) 
(calmly) खैर anyways... हाँ तो, what are we supposed to do for this one year then?   
GF : मैंने बताया तो. तुम्हारी समझ में ना आए तो मैं क्या करूँ. 
BF : क्या बताया. मैंने तो सुना नहीं. please फिर बता दो. 
GF : I want to explore life, I want to explore myself, I want to build onto my individuality. 
BF : OK... and - I'm stopping you from doing that? 
GF : No, not that. But I need some space.... जैसे मेरे सभी decisions सभी plans सब कुछ तुम से ही... I'm becoming dependent on you. 
BF : I don't mind, I don't feel it. 
GF : But I do. For once, I want to do something alone.
BF : And that would be like?
GF : Well, मेरे दिमाग में तो करने के लिए काफी कुछ है. Things I have never done before. You know, I want to go river rafting, I want to learn pottery, I’ll learn Spanish, and may be playing guitar. And yes, I am planning to write something, and -.
BF : I still don't get it. ये सब exploration तो तुम मेरे साथ रह कर भी कर सकती हो ना. मैं रोक थोड़े ना रहा हूँ तुम्हें कुछ करने से.
GF : नहीं. मुझे ये सब करना है, और अकेले करना है. I don't want you to suggest or decide anything or arrange things for me... कहाँ से करना है, कैसे करना है....
BF : Ok, I won't decide or arrange. in fact, मेरे लिए तो अच्छा है, I'm spared the burden of it... 
GF : Burden? Burden? You mean to say that planning things for me is a burden on you? I am a burden on you? 
BF : No, not burden, I mean... I won't have to worry about.... you know...
GF : Yes, you don't have to worry now. I won't be a burden anymore. 
BF (helpless) : जान मैं थोड़े ना complain कर रहा हूँ. तुम्हें ही problem है. being dependent and all...      
GF : No, it's ok, no need to explain. So, I told you. this was fucking what I was supposed to, what I had in mind. पर तुम्हारे दिमाग में सीधा क्या आया.... कोई और पसंद आ गया तो... how desperate!
BF (shouting with anger) : Enough! (Pause) साथ रहना है तो तुम्हारी मर्ज़ी, अलग होना है तुम्हारी मर्ज़ी. अलग हो कर कब वापस साथ आना है, इस बीच क्या करना है, सब कुछ तुम decide करोगी क्या? मुझे तो नहीं सीखनी spanish, मुझे नहीं करनी pottery. आएगा मेरे दिमाग में जो आएगा....
GF : हाँ हाँ, I know कि तुम्हारे दिमाग में बस यही सब आएगा. (shouting) I am such a fool, I am such a fool. God! why am I even talking to you? 
BF : I don't know. Go. 
GF : Yes yes, I am going. I just wanted कि इस सब में तुम मेरा साथ देते, पर तुमसे कुछ expect करना ही गलती है. It's already so hard for me, and all you did is.... well, it's ok. bye.
(Starts going away.) 
BF (calling from behind) : अच्छा, सुनो तो... 
GF : कुछ नहीं सुनना मुझे. I don't want to see your face. 
(She goes away. He sits down dejected. A minute later, a friend comes to him.)
Friend : क्या हो गया. ऐसे कैसे बैठा है..
Boy : ऐसे ही यार.
Friend : कुछ तो. इतना सडा हुआ चेहरा क्यूँ बना रखा है............. और भाभी कहाँ गई.
Boy : भाभी? (grins with a wry) चली गई. 
Friend : चली गई? अजीब है.... (it occurs to him) ओहो, लड़ाई हो गई क्या तुम्हारी, किसी बात पर.
Boy : हाँ, ब्रेक-अप हो गया यार.
Friend : क्या, ब्रेक-अप? फिर से?
Boy : हाँ यार, पर इस बार final वाला हो गया है 
Friend : ऐसा है क्या?
Boy : हाँ.....I guess so. 
Friend : ऐसा क्या हो गया भाई?
Boy : ऐसे ही....पता नहीं क्या बकचोदी है. छोड़ ना, सिगरेट जला यार एक... 
(He lights a cigarette and passes it to him. Both of them smoke.)      

5 hours later.
(Both the friends are drinking. The boy is a little glum.) 
Friend : याद आ रही है क्या?
Boy : हाँ.....kind of. 
Friend : फ़ोन कर के देख ले
Boy : तेरे आने से पहले किया था 3-4 बार try, उठाया नहीं.  
Friend : हम्म....(pause) anything you want to share? जो भी...याद आ रहा हो.
Boy : क्या फायदा है भाई याद कर के... छोड़ ना. I don't want to remember anything.  
Friend : अबे मस्त है. seriously. मैं तो कहता ही हूँ - ज्यादा मत सोच. chill मार. 
Boy : अगला पैग बना यार.
(He pours next drink for both of them)
Friend : गाने चलाने है लैपटॉप पर? Low volume में?
Boy : हाँ, चला ले... 
(He plays song 'दिल दे दिया है, जान तुझे देंगे, दग़ा नहीं करेंगे सनम. रब्ब दी कसम यारा रब्ब दी कसम." 
Boy : साले, किसी पुरानी दुश्मनी का बदला ले रहा है क्या? 
Friend : क्या हो गया
Boy : यार पहले ही याद आ रही है, ऐसे गाने चला कर तू और मार ले मेरी. 
Friend : अच्छा ठीक है, senti ना हुआ कर    
(Stops the song.) 
ये ले, कर दिया बंद.
(Silence. Both of them sipping from their drink, eating peanuts.) 
कुछ भी बोल भाई, दारु में  BP best है                                                             
Boy : सही में....smooth जा रही है बिलकुल. नशे भी मस्ताने हो रहे हैं. (pause) चल, कोई मस्त सा गाना लगा, डांस करते हैं bhen****. 
Friend (happily, cautiously) : sure?
Boy : क्या.... अब इस में भी sure जैसा क्या है... 
Friend : अच्छा, लगा रहा हूँ.... (searching for song in laptop) अम्म्म..... 
(Just then, his phone kept on the table rings.)
Boy : अबे! 
(He rises to pick up phone.)
Friend : किसका है  
Boy : उसी का है... (Picks up) हल्लो हल्लो..... (pause) हल्लो....
(Friend asking in signs what's up. He signs back that there is no reply from other side.) 
हल्लो....जान.... हल्लो.... 
(Sound of sobbing heard.)
अरे, रो रहे हो तुम. जान... नहीं जान... ऐसे ना करो बेबी.  
GF (over phone) (sobbing) : मैं कहीं ना जा रही जान.
BF : हाँ तो, कौन कह रहा है तुम्हें जाने को.
GF (over phone) : मैं जा ही नहीं सकती जान. 5 घंटे दूर रहने में ही मेरी जान चली गई. मैं नहीं रह सकती जान तुमसे अलग.          
(He looks at friend. Signs that he's going to balcony, and will be back shortly.)
BF : yea baby, I know. 
(Signs to him to pass the drink. He passes him the drink. He goes out on the balcony. The friend plays the song 'Wake me up when september ends', and starts surfing facebook. Then sticks earphones in the audio jack, and starts listening through earphones.) 
(The boy returns. The friend sees him. Removes the earphones.) 
Friend : क्या हुआ? मामला ok है?
Boy : हाँ भाई, हो गया settle. 
Friend : यार, थोड़ा पहले कॉल कर लेती! बोतल तो ना खरीदनी पड़ती. (They grin.) वैसे अब क्या दिमाग में आ गई उसके, क्या कह रही थी.
Boy : पता नहीं, कभी कहती है space चाहिए, फिर उसे याद आ जाती है... पता नहीं क्या बकचोदी है..... पहले पैग बना यार एक.
(The friend pours another drink for both of them. They sit and drink.)   

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm..... GF ho ya BF ... dono firey ho lagtey hn dimag se :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. shuru se koi fira hua nahi hota, pyaar mein pad kar yehi haal ho jata hain...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you remove comments.... indeed very funny

    Good post. I like the word,' bukchodi' .

    The voice of the guy is quite authentic and consistent , the same cannot be said of the girl..in parts it seems made up.

    It seems that solution to problems from naxalism to love is only in a glass of beer in Gulfamian world.

    I hope you thats just your style , not you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha...sahi h bhai aisa ahi hota h ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm pyr ache ache ko fira deta ........... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stress and frustration
    That's what I can read in this post ! Nothing worth thinking though !

    ReplyDelete
  8. @anonymous, I don't delete comments, only spam :) note that the comment has been deleted by the 'author'(of the comment), not me.

    yeah, may be you are right about the girl's part, will review it. obviously, the boy's dialogues come more naturally to me...

    beer does calm the nerves, but it gives no solution... well anyways, it's not about me, nor the narrator of the post about naxalism... it's about bringing to face stories around me... and in the world around me, yes people do drink a lot on every weekend, every occasion, marriage, b'day party, break-up, bachelor's party, getting job, buying new car party, meeting old friends, no party looks complete to people without liquor these days... it's a sad state of affairs but so it is...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @manish, ritika, surely this is how things are :)

    @anonymous 2, yea, this is about something that involves hell lot of frustration, and better if one could stop thinking about it... but it's so real and rampant...

    ReplyDelete