Monday, January 24, 2011

The bamboo hat


A woman passed in front of me to head into the university office. I am left enchanted by the hat that adorns her head. It's a big, round, conical hat made of bamboo, the kind of which I have seen only in the movies. I exclaim almost involuntarily, "What a beautiful hat!" It won't be much to say that instead of the word 'beautiful' complimenting it, it is the hat which has imparted a new intensity to the word 'beautiful'.

She emerges out of the office door a few minutes later. I say to myself, "I wish I could have it." My eyes follow her fading figure, as she goes farther before finally taking a turn.

I sit there for quite some time unable to think about anything else. While I am still looking in that direction, the hat reappears from round the corner. While she passes in front of me yet once again, I wait no more to tell her that it's a beautiful hat. She smiles. I express my predilection for such a hat, asking her where to buy it. She is regretful at having to inform me about its unavailability since she brought it from her country Vietnam.

I guess that the wistfulness surfacing on my face must not have been difficult to read because she picks the clue and offers it to me. I am gratified way beyond words. However, a sudden hesitation hinders my instinctive reaction to grab it. I don't understand this. Why would she like to part from such a valued possession from her land, that too for a stranger? Of course, she is not being formal, as courtesy doesn't demand this much from someone. On top of it, she doesn't say if I would like to have it, rather she asks in a mildly apologetic tone if I won't mind taking her old hat, as if I would be doing her a favour by accepting it.

With my eyes still fixed on it, my little sense of societal norms and courtesies forces me to murmur reluctantly, "No, it's okay. How could I take it?" She insists on my keeping it. At this point, the mature guy succumbs giving way to the craving child. The hat is mine.


What price could I pay for it? Firstly, I would have to go to Vietnam to get another one like this. Secondly, the more you desire something, the more you are ready to pay for it. My limitless desire justifies any price for it. Thirdly, it's her personal possession and not merely an article. This gives her the right to demand any amount for it.  

I fear that offering to pay her might look arrogant and offensive, but I still wonder that did she just part with it without expecting anything. If not, not paying might mean to be impertinent. So, I ask her how much would I pay for it. She is quick to refuse anything, remarking, "You like it. So I gift it to you." Wow! this is definitely one of the best gifts I have ever received. I introduce myself to her and ask her name. She is Sister Taing - a nun from Vietnam.

As she leaves, I look at her with incredulity. I had only heard of people possessing something without being possessive about it. Today I saw it. How she could own, admire and love something and yet remain so untouched so as to be able to gift it to someone without a pinch!

I come home with the hat. I do my photo session with it. Now it lies in the corner of the sofa opposite me, and I still don't seem to have enough of looking at it.

2 comments: