Saturday, January 22, 2011

The ruins

Why the ruins enamoured me,
I could never comprehend
I would go there time and again
Entranced by a magic wand


Seven rooms lined up adjacent
In that old deserted building
Shattered window panes peered
Out of walls gradually crumbling


Probably a market or school
Abandoned since long ago
Twilight years ruminated ruefully
In a gleaming past's shadow


Sitting on the steps of the porch
I looked at the sprawling  trees
And bathed in the moonlight
Filtering through dark leaves


As the smooth breeze whispered
In my ears a nonsensical rhyme,
The revelation took hold of me
The ruins had lost a sense of time


Practical sense disavowed existence
Of this building, so dreary
Nothing left undisposed, it just
Stood there wild and free


As if it had always been this way
As if it would stand there forever
It was all but so whole in itself
Isolated from the worldly clamour


Emanated from the nothingness,
I adored, its beauteous reflection.
Encapsulated in a glassy cocoon,
I was unstirred by any distraction


Things projected them to me
Through the glassy membrane
Rid of their superflousness,
What if existence were in vain.


Water gushing, leaves rustling
Traffic din and children's play
To my ears floated every sound
Distinctly even from miles away


Liability for meaning deliquesced
On seeing the face of existence
Things exist, they exist anyways
To exist became an acquiescence


Moonlight cascaded onto the ruins
An oceanic moment, I was diving
No pain or relief, no joy, no grief
I sat there on the steps smiling.

4 comments: